Friday, August 1, 2008

#6

Hey guys I am back. I am sorry it took so long but I have been kind of lazy. All my chess playing and talking to Ash on the webcam has taken up most of my free time. I better be getting better at chess because I have played quite a few games since the trip started. Eric still has the lead 13-9 so I still have some work to do. Anyway I know you arent reading this blog to hear about my chess playing. Safari night was really cool and we saw all kinds of cool animals like different kinds of deer, rhinos, hippos, giraffes, tigers, lions, hyenas, and wolves. I will not be posting any pictures though, apparently wild animals dont like the flashes from our cameras so the park told us we were not allowed to use them. I tried to take some other photos without the flash but they were black blobs and I dont think you guys want to see that.

Safari night was a lot of fun but probably the best part of the night was on the way home on the bus. The bus was like a regular coach bus with a bunch of seats but they had this little downstairs with a couch and two chairs, it looked a little bit like a limo but not that nice. Anyway they had a tv screen and some microphones and a bunch of the swimmers were doing karaoke. That was really entertaining. I will never think of "Hotel California" in the same way ever again. Honestly I think we have been gone so long that people are getting really bored and very stir crazy.

Last night we had our rookie skit night. The people who have never made the Olympics get put into groups where they have to make up and perform their own skits. Most of the time they just make fun of the older members of the team (ie. Dara Torres). Its all in good fun and every has a pretty good time doing it. I will have to say the best was Cullen Jones performing as Steve Urkel. Their group did a version of the Dating Game. Cullen was Urkel while the other members of his group were members of the team. For those of you that dont know Cullen he is usually very stylish and sleek so I would not expect him to be that great at playing Steve Erkel. He was amazing and really dorky and funny it was great and people loved it.

So that is basically what has been going on around here. Training is good, more of the same. I am sorry to let every know but this is my last post until after the Olympics is over. The USOC has some restrictions on blogging during the Olympics so I am going to follow all of their rules. If I can get back on then I plan on it but if not Ashley will be taken over my duties. She is going to start posting when she gets to Beijing so every will still be able to know what is going on. I am sure she is going to do a great job, she happens to get herself into some interesting predicaments.

Since this is the last time you hear from me, I would like to tell everyone thanks! Everyone has been very supportive since I put up this blog and sending me great messages. It does mean a lot to me especially when I am away from most of you for so long. A lot of us dont get to see each other much so its great to get your well wishes and it is greatly appreciated. On top of that I have to say thanks again for all the support that you have given me throughout my career. I honestly believe that without the support of my family, coaches, and friends that I would not have had the success that I have had today. Everyone should feel very much a part of my Olympic experience. Only seven days until I swim and I expect everyone at home to be cheering for me. I hope everyone is well and I will do my best to bring home the gold!

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mark.. just found your blog and love it. Can you still email? I'd love to hear from you or Ashley for the Olympic blog I'm writing about swimming. Maybe one of you can drop me a line between chess matches and webcam time =)
Diana Rugg
WCNC reporter
p.s. I have a dog named Daisy too

Anonymous said...

Hey Mark: Glad your doing well and we're so proud that you are on the team in Beijing. I'll be wearing your 2004 olympic ball cap when you swim for good luck. Best wishes from all the Wagners.
Doug Wagner

Anonymous said...

Mark-We are going to miss this! Has been tons of fun to hear about all that you are doing. I know Ashley will rock when she takes over but will miss your "voice"...will see you SOON! Love, Mom
PS You are making us celebrities...Just did an interview at Channel 3 News (Dad, Cindy and I) and had an interview with radio station at lunch. Such fun!!

Anonymous said...

The blogs are great! I love hearing what is going on. Sounds like things are going well, we are getting very excited!!! - Corey

Anonymous said...

Mark,
I love hearing about all the fun things you get to do. Keep training hard. Melodie wishes you luck.
Love Mary and Melodie

Tour de' France Trip said...

Good luck Mark. We are so proud of you and can't wait to watch you swim next week. Thanks for sharing the Olympic dream with us.
The Haver Family.

Anonymous said...

Good Luck Mark!!! Hope I get to see you in China! Love Cindy

P.S. Tim will be rooting for you at home!

P.S.S. And all the firestone swimmers and parents.

Anonymous said...

Hola!! Espero que trigas unas medallas!! Buena suerte!!
tu tio Willye!

Anonymous said...

Hey Mark- your mom just sent out their information so it is getting more and more exciting! I like Diana's note- "drop me a line between chess matches and webcam time..." we all know what you are doing!! We will be in touh again I hope but this is so much fun to read! Flavia teaches swimming in a new swim center on the Presidio in San Francisco ( pretty nice piece of land, overlooking Golden Gate Bridge) and they have hung up all your information for all to see!!! We are going to send all to Puerto Rico, Peru, Argentina and Florida!!! You have an international cheering team! LOVE AUNT MINDA
You have an international

Anonymous said...

Hey sweetheart - You are on all our minds and in our prayers - I have been wearing my Beijing sweatshirt which I bought immediately after your finals in Omaha. I brag because you don't !
I LOVED spending time with u & Ash.
MAKE YOUR MARK -Gangloff !!!
Watching for you on the podium !!!!
love, Aunt Leslie
Uncle Dennis, Allison, Dan

Anonymous said...

Mark,
I enjoy your blog and appreciate you taking the time to do it. Best of luck in all your races. The Fitch family wishes nothing but the best for you.

Gene Fitch
Firestone '82

Anonymous said...

Mark, Thanks for all of your enormous efforts and keep up the GREAT work.
The Holt family

Justin said...

MGZ,
It was great reading about all your experiences. Thanks so much for taking the time to do it. I only wish I had found out about it sooner. Anyway man, best of luck. Kelly and I have blocked off times when you're swimming so we can scream at the tv or internet together and cheer for you. Enjoy yourself and take care of business Cortez style.

-Justin Caron

Unknown said...

Hey Mark im wyatt grubbs and im 11 i go to lake forest and i just wanted to wish you luck and tell you................


SWIM NOMAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

This is great! We are all so proud of you at Firestone and glad to have you as our alumni.

I love the website. I will tell students about it next week when school starts.

Mrs. Drugan