Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Another Great Day... Another Wonder of the World!


Yesterday, with no tickets in hand, the five of us, Ken, Jenny, and Cindy Gangloff, my mother, Diane, and I hopped on a bus and went to the Great Wall. We went to a part of the wall called Mutianyu. Because of the cycling competition, the part of the wall that is usually popular amongst tourists was closed so we actually got to visit one of the most beautiful stretches of the wall. The tour guide said that in Chinese culture if you climb the wall then you are considered a "real hero". Well, we are about half a hero each because we took the chair lift up and the toboggan down (the chair lift is just like a ski lift and the toboggan is on a metal slide, kind of like a luge--it was AWESOME!). I took plenty of pictures and video that I will post when we get home.





So, was the great wall great? Yes... it was amazing. It was hot, but we were able to actually see blue skies being that far from the city and we were able to see for miles. It was breathtaking. The smog in Beijing has been worse than even we could imagine. Think about L.A. on its worse day and multiply by at least 100! So, needless to say, escaping from the city and being able to breath clean air while experiencing one of the wonders of the world was fantastic!

My mother and I met a couple of friends for dinner last night at the famous Courtyard restaurant in Beijing. It was delicious! While at dinner, Mark called me to fill me in on his day. Yesterday Mark received a letter from a new fan, Lynn Cheney's executive assistant! She wrote him a personal note telling him how proud she was of him, that she was a former swimmer, that her favorite movie is The Guardian, and that she would be cheering for him. She also invited us to the White House this fall-- cool, huh?!

Today, my mother and I have a busy day... we are going to diving and then straight to football (soccer)- Go USA!

Tomorrow we are hoping to visit Mark in the athlete village. Mark did say earlier this week that he ate breakfast with Roger Federer, so we are hoping to see someone really amazing (in addition to Mark, of course!).

Still, we are having the time of our lives here in Beijing and we can't wait to tell you more about it. If there is something specific you'd like me to tell you about in my next blog, please let me know in a comment and I will do my best fill you in.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well the Gangloff family is really enjoying everything here! Was a great day at the Wall. Really could not believe the scope of the whole thing. Am happy to report that even I rode the toboggan down!! Keep sending your good thoughts AND cheers!! GO MARK!

Out-Island Explorers said...

Ashley-- thank you for your great blogs :) It's great hearing things from an "American" point of view too!! We were so proud of Mark the other night and will continue to cheer him on!! I wish I could be there with you and Heather, but I feel like I'm there for the journey with ya'lls great blogs :) Stay safe and have a ball :) GO MARK!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Gangloff Family (J,K and C)!!
Didn't know if you were able to read the blog. Hope you're having a fab time. Can't wait to hear all about it. Have fun!!
Love ya, Stephanie

Anonymous said...

Ash - I am really enjoying the blog! it is so great to see you and Mark and Co. having such a great time. My wife and son sit in front of the TV with me each night and cheer on our swimmers!

Keep up the good work!
Dan Froehlich

langenfeld's said...

Hey Mark & Ash!
Langenfed's here in Woosung, We're sooooo proud of you Mark, we're glued to the T.V. Great blogs ,feels like we're there with you , know we're there in spirit.
GO MARK!!!!
Love to you all
Robin

langenfeld's said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

To Mark, Ashley, Jen, Ken, Cindy, and mom,
Still love the blog. Great job.
It's fun to read everyone's comments. How exciting to see the great wall and all that's happening at the olympics. What an experience! Am so proud of you all.
Yes, go Mark!!!!
Love, Judy and Ron

Unknown said...

Mark, I am another Gangloff by Marriage. As you may know, there a very few Ganglof's in this country. My husband's grandparents came from the Alsace-Lorraine region in Germany. We were very proud to see you swin. Good luck in any future endeavors. You have given pride to the Gangloff name.
Dale Gangloff from CT.

Unknown said...

Hey Ashley! I've just caught up on your blogs. Please tell Mark we say congrats and hello. War Eagle! Alissa and Jon Karr

Anonymous said...

Ashley,

Tell Mark that he can't come home till he eats some scorpion or silk worm kabobs! Get a picture of it too would yah!

KK Hagler said...

WAY TO GO MARK!!! we have been watching and cheering for all of you like crazy! and making everyone in our paths do the same. i hope yall are having a great time and living up all of the amazing things you are getting to experience!! can't wait to see all the pictures and hear about it when you get back!
-doug and kk

Unknown said...

Mark, you are an inspiration. Congratulations on a successful Olympic Games!!!

I love both of you guys! Enjoy the rest of your time there.

Davo

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Mark we are so proud of you and your hard work accomplishments. Thank's for another exciting olympic.

Dick and Jane
Dixon, Illinois

Anonymous said...

just came across the blog today . . . great swimming mark! I can't wait to hear all about your adventures when you get home!