Monday, August 4, 2008

Okay, Okay, I have been resisting posting since Mark turned it over to me. I am going to try to remember that this blog is not a chance for me to live out my dreams of being a celebrity, but a chance to share our upcoming trip with you. Well, as all of you can imagine, a trip to Beijing is a pretty big deal. The process started about six months ago when we tentatively started making plans. We hooked up with a friend of the family who is a travel agent and began making tentative flight and hotel reservations. "Tentative" might sound harsh, but I didn't want to jinx anything, as Mark still had to swim out of his mind at Trials in June (which he did!!).

For the last year we continued to hear, and read, about how hard it was going to be to find, much less buy Olympic event tickets. I shrugged off the entire issue until recently... and recently I started FREAKING OUT. Thankfully, last week a block of tickets opened up and we ended up having access to swimming tickets, diving, tickets (which I am so excited about), ping pong tickets, gymnastics tickets, and soccer tickets, among others but these were our tickets of choice.

(When I refer to "us" and "we" I am referring to my mother and I. We have been planning for a couple of years that if we had the opportunity and a reason to go, that we were going to travel to Beijing together... I am so excited to go with her!)

Anyway, we started filling in the blanks of our trip as soon as Mark touched the wall to qualify for the 2008 Olympic Games. Our trip was officially on... and we still had a lot to do. In the last few weeks since trials we have been making plans and taking care of details such as travel insurance, vaccinations, Chinese visas, etc. It has been a very involved process, but I am happy to say that it is all done and we leave tomorrow!!

This evening I have been running around the house like a crazy woman, packing, making photo copies of my passport, gathering up granola bars and fruit snacks to take on the trip... I felt like I was running in circles, so I decided to sit and write.

I will be leaving Charlotte tomorrow (Wednesday) at 11:30am and won't get into Beijing until 10:30am on Friday. On Friday we will run around Beijing, picking up tickets, checking into our hotel, and getting ready for an incredible 2 weeks!

I have got to get back to packing... and I have to get Daisy out from under the bed (I have not seen her since I pulled the suitcase out of the storage closet!). I will continue to post updates and highlights from our trip... stay tuned...

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi. You don't know me. My brother and I were MAC swimmers in the 80-90's and I currently have girls swimming for MAC. We wanted to wish you good luck in Beijing. No matter how you finish, Charlotte and MAC are very proud to have you represent us. God Bless and know that you have thousands of strangers praying for you!!

The Post Family in Huntersville

Mr. Turton said...

Hi Mark - I just wanted to say Good Luck on behalf of Alden Schools. We remember you and are are so very proud of your ambition. Articles related to your progress are often on display in our High School pool. Well, actually the walls in the pool area since we couldn't get them to stick very long under water in the actual pool. On a personal note, I really enjoy watching the Bowman family faces light up when I ask about your progress. My memories of your family fun at Lake Bowmani always make me smile. I hope to see you in Alden some time after your return from the Olympics to shake your hand and thank you for representing us so well. God Bless! - Allen

Rose (Langenfeld) Weymouth said...

I Ashley, I am your mothers aunt and I just found out about Mark and am very excited for you and him. I just want to say go Mark!!!!!!!!!!!

Kelly said...

Hey Mark...cousins Kelly and Brad here. We just want to wish you the best of luck!! We're so very happy and excited for you. We will be sending many prayers your way.By the way...where is my Olympic ticket?? You promised to get me one :)Love ya!

Anonymous said...

God bless you Marky! We are getting so excited and cannot wait to watch you! No matter what the outcome we are so proud of you and all you have accomplished! Now get that gold! We'll be cheering for you in Buffalo NY with Corey and Matt!
Love,
Jane Emily

Anonymous said...

GO MARK! Good Luck!
~Jill

Anonymous said...

Hey Jenny,Kenny and Cindy- just want to hear more about your interview in Ohio for the TV as Mark is on the Channel 2 news in Buffalo tonight!
We missed the first round but will watch at 11- hope you had a good trip there and met up with Ashley!
We are so proud of you all for all the years it has taken to get here and wish we were there! Love the Buffalo Dudleys

Anonymous said...

Mark,
All of us here at M & T Bank in Buffalo that work with your Aunt Stephanie are cheering you on!!
Wishing you all the best!!
GO U.S.A.!!!!!!
Shelly

Anonymous said...

GO MARK GO! WOO HOO USA!

Anonymous said...

Hi Mark & Ashley, (& Diane)

Just watched you in the semi-finals! Way to go!!! Good luck in the finals! All of your fans in Dixon are cheering for you!

Tom and Diane

Anonymous said...

Hey Marky, it your cuz Katy...I'm SOOOOO proud of you and happy for you! You probably won't see this before but I wish you the best of luck today at the finals! I know you will do awesome..I get so excited when I see you on t.v.! We have to find the BIG KAHUNA movie we made where at the end you said "maybe I should go to the olympics" ahhhhhh that was too funny cause HERE YOU ARE..in the olympics! GOOD LUCK! way to go cuz..love ya buddy!

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!